Installshield 6 crash: ole trouble

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Wed Jan 22 04:34:06 CST 2003

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 03:53 am, Mike Hearn wrote:
> Why not just use threads? Is there a particular advantage to using
> IPC in this instance? I'd guess that ikernel.exe is the program that
> does the installing, and the program you launch does the front end
> code?

I don't know the full story with IS6:  I haven't experimented with that
particular bug.  But, generally speaking, you can't just fudge threads
for processes; if a.exe runs b.exe, and exepects to speak to it via
RPC, there's basically no hope of getting around the cross-process
nature of the problem.

--
gmt