Games Swat 3d

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Wed Jan 22 16:39:48 CST 2003

> >> what do you mean by "added to the list" ?
> >Presumably, added to the list of programs that work ;)
> It's what i have thought first,
> but "will be added ... for use ..." sound like "will be added to the
> priority list" for me :)
> >Swat3d is a great game, and one that I happen to own.  Haven't tried
> > it in wine for a while, maybe I'll give it a try after work today.
> :)
> can you report the current working state of the game under wine Dx
> after ? As d3d<8 not support multi-texturing yet, i think you should
> have some graphics problems

OK, I gave this a whorl.  It went surprisingly well.  The installer, and
all the upgrades up to 2.1 (except maybe the mission pack) seem to go
fine.  As for the game itself, no dice, it uses safedisc.  But, I found
a no-cd at gamecopyworld ;)

After swapping in their exe, it gets pretty far, but still no dice.  It
behaves something like Rogue Spear: xvidmode changes, it complains
about some BitBlt stuff, and "locks up" silently without a crash.  With
native devenum (thanks to the familiar DllGetClassObject unimplemented
in that dll), it even starts to play the intro music (via winealsa, my
audio is kind of screwed up ATM).  It's having trouble with the intel
codec dlls, but, nevertheless, I get the feeling that it's a lot closer
to actually showing me something than it was the last time I tried this
game under wine.

According to Transgaming's website, it runs better under winex, but
still exhibits some problems.

Great game, I hope it improves.  I wouldn't mind debugging this, I
really like this game a lot.... but I have a lot of wine stuff going on
right now, might not be the best moment to take on yet another pet
project.  I guess it goes on my "fun" queue, which gets processed in
times of boredom :)

I am a little concerned that once wine starts running my favorite games
well I am going to have a hard time getting work done :)

--
gmt