debugger detection in newbin.

Alex Pasadyn ajp at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 23 11:00:43 CST 2003

Marcus Meissner wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:12:32AM +0100, Rein Klazes wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>The latest version of newsbin 4.1B5 refuses to run, displaying
>>"debugger or monitoring tool detected".
>>

> Well, we store the thread pid there, see thread.h:
>
>     DWORD        pid;            /* !2-  20 Process id (win95: debug context) */
>
> Try to move the pid somewhere else and mark this field as unused.

All, I saw this same problem with a different application, and it
behaves the same way whether the "Windows version" is NT or 9x.  After a
bit of research, it appears that NT pids should be less than 65k, so I
created a patch that makes all of Wine's Win32 PIDs less than 65k.  It
makes the application I was using work (for winver set to both NT and
9x), but I had not posted it to wine-patches because I was afraid it
might break something else.

I will go ahead and post it now, but it would appreciate comments from
someone who knows more

Regards,
Alex Pasadyn