Whither fnt2bdf?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Jan 23 13:08:03 CST 2003

Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> writes:
>

>>Does that mean Wine can natively handle .fnt fonts (which
>>X libraries can't natively, I believe) as client side X fonts?
>

> My understanding is that FreeType can support bitmap fonts, but that
> it's not implemented in Wine yet; Huw can give you the details. Anyway
> most of the need for fnt2bdf was to convert the Windows standard
> fonts, and these are basically all TrueType now.

I wonder whether people still want to run applications that
are packaged with their own Windows bitmap fonts.  I think
I run into that periodically.  It would be interesting to
work out how to support those properly under Wine, even
though they're obsolete.

>>I suppose Wine would need some user-space app to manage
>>these fonts, then?
>

> I guess we could have a font control panel at some point, but there
> isn't that much to manage anyway. As long as the font files are
> somewhere on the font path everything should just work.

Since the average user can't deal with font paths,
this little font control panel will be important.
Maybe even required for wine1.0, who knows.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com