Definitions of wine Exec files

Tom Wickline twickline2 at triad.rr.com
Sun Jan 26 11:56:07 CST 2003

I am in the process of updating section 3.1. ( Wine Static and Shareable
Files ) of the
Packagers Guide :
http://www.winehq.com/Docs/wine-pkg/pkg-components.shtml#PKG-STATIC

Below is a list of what I have so far. This list is by no means done or
correct .
I would like to submit it here for overview. If you are aware of
something that
is out of place, incorrect, or just out right wrong could you please give
feed back on it.

This could also serve to start as a mini Wine Dictionary :))
That is not my current goal but if others think it could be of use
I could spend some time on one after the Packagers Guide is updated.

Tom

-- = files that are listed in this Doc but are not installed on my system.
*  = files are in this Doc and on my system
@ = files that are on my system but not in the Doc
#  = files that are not in the Doc or on my System ( wineboot )

-- dosmod : Deleted as of Jan 2001.

-- fnt2bdf  : Discussed on Wine-Devel ( practically obsolete )

@ notepad : The windows Notepad replacement

@ progman : Program Manager for WINE.

@ regedit : A tool to browse/edit your regestory or for exporting a
windows registory to Wine.

@ regsvr32 : A program to register .DLL's and .OCX files ?

@ uninstaller: A Winelib program to uninstall installed Windows programs.

@ wcmd :  Wine's command line interpreter

@ widl : Wine IDL compiler ???

* wine :  The main Wine executable. This program will load a Windows
binary and run it, relying upon the Wine shared object libraries.

# wineboot : A Winelib application that's executed by Wine on startup of
the first wine process of a particular user.
         * wininit.ini processing
         * registry RenameFiles entries
         * RunServices* / RunOnce* / Run registry keys
         * win.ini Load= / Run= entries
         * StartUp folder processing

-- winebootup : Now wineboot......

* winebuild : Winebuild is a tool used for Winelib applications (and by
Wine itself) to allow a developer to compile a .spec file into a .spec.c
file.

* wineclipserv : The Wine Clipboard Server is a standalone XLib
application whose purpose is to manage the X selection when Wine exits.

@ wineconsole : a console program for wine,,, For running CUI
executables (Windows console programs), use wineconsole instead of wine
run).
Not using wineconsole for CUI programs will only provide  very limited
console support, and your program might not function properly.

* winedbg : Winedbg is the Wine built in debugger.

@ winedump : A NE and PE file dumper

@ winefile : A clone of the win3x filemanager

@ winegcc : Wrapper for gcc to build winelib binaries

* winelauncher : A wine wrapper shell script that intelligently handles
wine invocation by informing the user about what's going on, among other
things. To be found in tools/ directory. Use of this wrapper script
instead of directly using wine is strongly encouraged, as it not only
improves the user interface, but also adds important functionality to
wine, such as session bootup/startup actions. If you intend to use this
script, then you might want to rename the wine executable to e.g.
wine.bin and winelauncher to wine. the WINECONFDIR/config file.

winemaker : Winemaker is a perl script which is designed to help you
bootstrap the conversion of your Windows projects to Winelib. In order
to do thisit will go analyze your
code, fixing the issues listed above and generate autoconf-based Makefiles.

@ winemine :  A winmine clone "Windows Minesweeper" ???

@ winepath : Specifies the path(s) in which to search for builtin dlls
and Winelib applications.

* wineserver : The Wine server is critical to Wine; it is the process
that coordinates all shared Windows resources.

-- winesetup : This is a Tcl/Tk based front end that provides a user
friendly tool to edit and configure the WINECONFDIR/config file.

* wineshelllink : This shell script can be called by Wine in order to
propagate Desktop icon and menu creation requests out to a GNOME or KDE
(or other Window Managers).

@ winewrap : Adds Visual Basic compatible scripting to Windows
applications. (depends on gcc) ???

@ winhelp : For viewing windows help files

* wmc : Wine Message Compiler it allows Windows message files to be
compiled into a format usable by Wine.

* wrc : Wine Resource Compiler. It allows Winelib programmers (and Wine
itself) to compile Windows style resource files into a form usable by Wine.