Missing WM_NCPAINT (was: Re: App works almost perfectly, but one MDI screen won't draw)

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Jan 26 22:32:36 CST 2003

Duane Clark wrote:
> Mike Hearn wrote:
>
>> Could you explain this to me please? I tried Kaleidograph and started
>> looking at why the "Demo version only" dialog that pops up at the
>> beginning wasn't blanking the background properly, which I decided was
>> because the app didn't call BeginPaint but I am very much a novice.
>>
>> So, if you could explain how you tracked down these bugs I'd very much
>> appreciate it!
>
> I ran the app under WinNT and Wine, and compared the messages generated
> using SPY++. There are non-client (border) and background fill messages
> missing. So then it becomes a matter of figuring out where they should
> be generated.

That sounds like the problem my app is having, too.  Now that I
have Spyxx.exe running, I see that a WM_NCPAINT message is sent
to that window in WinMe but not in Wine.
Interestingly, a WM_NCPAINT *does* get sent to the parent
window ("AfxFrameOrView42") in wine.  Is it supposed to
percolate down from that to its child area?
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com