Missing WM_NCPAINT (was: Re: App works almost perfectly, but one MDI screen won't draw)

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Mon Jan 27 10:29:45 CST 2003

Dan Kegel wrote:

> That sounds like the problem my app is having, too.  Now that I
> have Spyxx.exe running, I see that a WM_NCPAINT message is sent
> to that window in WinMe but not in Wine.

NC messages affect the border that Windows (and Wine) add to a window.
The border that you use to stretch or move the window, and that contains
the window title. Since your problem is within the window client
(content) area, it is probably unrelated.

> Interestingly, a WM_NCPAINT *does* get sent to the parent
> window ("AfxFrameOrView42") in wine.  Is it supposed to
> percolate down from that to its child area?
> - Dan

Generally, no they won't percolate. I am most of the way through a fix
for the WM_NCPAINT messages in MDI apps, so that will probably come out
this coming weekend. It turned out that finding where the fix went was
fairly easy, but actually implementing it was slightly trickier than I
expected.