building a windows API database

Dave Miller compsol at ptd.net
Mon Jan 27 19:03:23 CST 2003

Francois,

I am interested in taking on the "build a database of windows APIs and
dependencies" task.  I have started work on scripts to scan a windows
system and list import/export information.  So far I can gather a list
of dlls and run dumpbin on them, then parse imports (mostly, I think).
 I've started with simply printing the parsed output in three columns.
 The first is the DLL being scanned, the second is the DLL being
imported, and the third is API imported.  I am unsure of one thing.
 There is a 1 - 3 character hexadecimal number preceding almost every
API.  What is it, and should it be included in the output?  Here is an
example of what I am referring to:  The hexadecimal number, in the third
column.

c:\windows\system32/atiiiexx.dll        KERNEL32.dll    1AD
InterlockedDecrement
c:\windows\system32/atiiiexx.dll        KERNEL32.dll    1B0
InterlockedIncrement
c:\windows\system32/atiiiexx.dll        KERNEL32.dll    126 GetModuleHandleA
c:\windows\system32/atiiiexx.dll        USER32.dll      2AC wsprintfA
c:\windows\system32/atiiiexx.dll        USER32.dll      1DE PostMessageA
c:\windows\system32/atiiiexx.dll        USER32.dll      15E GetWindowTextA

Also I could use some direction on what the goals of this task are.  Do
we want text output?  That makes a very large text file when listing all
imported/exported APIs.  Do we actually want a database for this?