remote app problem: menus go away at wrong time

Zsolt Rizsanyi rizsanyi at myrealbox.com
Tue Jan 28 08:43:38 CST 2003

On Tuesday 28 January 2003 08:40, Dan Kegel wrote:
> I was sitting at my wife's XP machine with a spare five minutes,
> and it suddently came to me that I haven't done enough remote
> testing of Wine.  So I ran
> wcmd
>    cygwin
>       startx
>          ssh -X mybox
>            ssh mylaptop
>               wine spyxx.exe
> just to see how well wine would work via two ssh hops
> on top of x on top of cygwin on top of winxp.
>
> First issue: you can't use the menus with the mouse!  Sure, they'll
> pop up, but when you move the mouse down to one of the menu items,
> the menu goes away.  It decides the user really wanted to highlight
> the toolbar, or something.
>
> Before you say "Aw, nobody'll do that", consider that LTSP is getting
> a lot more popular... and last week a local small business owner I know
> asked me to help set up diskless Linux workstations to run his existing
> Windows apps.

I use LTSP to run a diskless Linux workstation. I'm running two Windows
programs on top of it regularly (two dictionaries). And they work exactly the
same as they work on the main machine. I have also tried some other programs
too, and never seen any difference beetween the local and the remote machine
(wrt this).

So it works pretty good. I dont know for what the above cygwin and double ssh
is needed. I dont need it :)

Regards
Zsolt