w2k Explorer makes wine crash in RtlRaiseException

Robert Shearman R.J.Shearman at warwick.ac.uk
Wed Jan 29 19:46:19 CST 2003

> To: wine-devel at winehq.com
> From: thomas.mertes at t-mobile.at
> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 14:26:27 +0100
> Subject: w2k Explorer makes wine crash in RtlRaiseException
> [Virus checked]
>
> Hello
>
> On my Suse 7.3 Linux (Kernel 2.4.4) I tried to start the
> w2k Explorer (Version 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 3)
> using wine-20030115 with just buildin dlls.
>
> tm at penguin:~/c/w2k > winedbg explorer
> Copied by hand from the winedbg window:
> 0011: sel=008f base=401145e0 limit=00000fff 32-bit rw-

> Backtrace:
> =>0 0x400c3de5 (RaiseException+0x75(code=0xc06d007f, flags=0x0,
> nbargs=0x1,
> args=0x406b2df8) [except.c:84] in libntdll.dll.so) (ebp=406b2da8)
>   1 0x0040de7f (explorer.exe.EntryPoint+0xc8d7 in C:\w2k\explorer.exe)
> (ebp=406b2df0)

> This seems to be an error in the wine exception handling. Is this right?
> What can be done about that?

No, it is not. It is a software exception raised by explorer itself (you can
get the same effect by running Win98 explorer on Win2k). I have seen the
same problem myself and managed to fix it, though I can't remember how. I
have submitted quite a few patches specific to getting Win2k explorer
running on Wine, but they haven't been accepted so far.
For a start you could try --dll shlwapi=b and copying over the native
shdocvw.dll and browseui.dll and running regsvr32 on them both. Try running
with --dll ole32=b to see if it is a COM class that isn't registered and
finally try using some of my shell32 and shlwapi patches :)

Hope this helps,

Rob

BTW I have got explorer loaded and displaying a folder but there are no
items in the folder view apart from 'Desktop'. I am still trying to work out
exactly why this is.