w2k Explorer makes wine crash in RtlRaiseException [Virus checked]

Tony Lambregts tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net
Wed Jan 29 23:16:03 CST 2003

Sylvain Petreolle wrote:

> --- thomas.mertes at t-mobile.at a écrit : > Hello
>

>>On my Suse 7.3 Linux (Kernel 2.4.4) I tried to start the
>>w2k Explorer (Version 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 3)
>>using wine-20030115 with just buildin dlls.
>>
>>  *please* dont run explorer at all
>>

>*please* dont run explorer at all

$$$!!!.&&&.

Well sure you can run explorer but you should be aware that this
dainbread program likes to trash the windows system directory.  The
reason for this is seems to be related to missing entries in the
registry files.  There is a fixup program that might repair the damage
(it usualy does).  I don't care about my windows install. The only time
I use it is to test a programs behavior under windows.  Anyway debugging
this behavior has been a PITA and I personally have made little headway
when I have tried to debug it.  By the same token it would be nice not
to have it do the damage it does.

Apparently you can get this corruption even if you dont run explorer
directly since some programs (like msn) will  call explorer.exe.

FWIW This is in the README.

--

Tony Lambregts