w2k Explorer makes wine crash in RtlRaiseException

Rolf Kalbermatter r.kalbermatter at hccnet.nl
Thu Jan 30 02:36:34 CST 2003

thomas.mertes at t-mobile.at wrote:

>On my Suse 7.3 Linux (Kernel 2.4.4) I tried to start the
>w2k Explorer (Version 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 3)
>using wine-20030115 with just buildin dlls.

It is quite possible that there is a problem in the Exception handling in
Wine, however before Explorer is going to run under Wine, there needs to be
a whole lot more done than that. The entire shell support in Wine is not
at the point where Explorer will be able to do anything useful and it
is just as likely that one of those problems triggers this Exception, which
may be not handled correctly in Explorer itself, but when run on Windows,
that Exception never ever has been triggered until now.

Explorer although an application is so tightly bound to the underlying OS,
that I doubt that you could mix the Explorer application with different
Windows versions itself. You definitely can't run W2K Explorer on a W9x
platform and vice versa.

In general I think it is probably simpler to get a Wine equivalent of Explorer
written than to get Wine to the point where it will run Windows Explorer.

Rolf Kalbermatter