RPC marshalling patch

David Laight david at l8s.co.uk
Fri Jan 31 11:44:53 CST 2003

> > and here is some free-as-in-beer RPC 1.1 stuff:
> >
> > http://www.opengroup.org/products/publications/catalog/c706.htm
>
> And on there, they just want to borg the email addresses of every reader,
> but not their souls or firstborns, as far as I can see.

When they set up this 'free' access to the documents it was rather
a change of direction for (what was then) X/Open.  After all they
had a business model that assumed they would be making money from
selling the books, rather than just taking money from the contributing
companies and giving away a 'free' copy of each book to each company.

In any case they wanted a log of who was downloading stuff, but they
said at the time that the email addresses wouldn't be used for other
purposes.  I've certainly never received junk mail from them.

I suspect the log (like the ones from anon ftp passwords) is of
little use to anyone.

	David

David Laight: david at l8s.co.uk