Word in Hebrew and Wine

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Thu Jul 3 02:32:47 CDT 2003

Hi,

I have a pretty good estimate of what needs to be done to get Word
supported in Hebrew. The current problems have to do with Word calling
"GetKeyboardLang" after each character, and using the result as a basis
for interpreting each received character. Currently, this function just
returns the system locale, which causes Word to assume each and every
letter is a Hebrew one, even the English ones. The results are pretty
catastrophic, as people have reported (typing "Hi there everyone"
typically results in the screen showing "Hthere everyone i", with "yone"
highlighted with green to say it has syntax correction to suggest. The
correct is to replace "there" with "they're").

I have been itching to do an overhaul of the Wine keyboard handling for
some time. I think the current scheme is overly complicated, and causes
problems. This is a major task, but I may be able to recrute some local
help. I am a bit worried, however, about the fact that some other people
may also working on a similar task at the moment. I know Dmitry said in
the past he is rennovating the keyboard a little, and I know codeweavers
still hold a patch that will allow UTF-8 input locale to work.

I would like to coordinate the effort. If anyone is working on the
keyboard right now, please let me know.

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh