just a suggestion (richedit.dll)

Jonathan Wilson jonwil at tpgi.com.au
Sat Jul 19 05:37:47 CDT 2003

Tom wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You could look into riched20.dll and riched32.dll
> as wine is in need of these in a bad way :)
Unfortunatly, I have never programmed richedit stuff.
But, if someone can provide 4 things, I might actually give it a go:
1.an existing control or library that can do the actual rendering of the
text (with the colors, fonts, bold and so on)
2.an example program that shows the usage of RichEdit (something that has
source code) and that will work just fine using MS richedit.dll under Wine
that I can use as a test subject (something that uses straight C code and
calls richedit directly, i.e. doesnt use libraries like MFC)
3.documentation on the programming interface of this dll. Having a working
clone header and library file (perhaps the one from MingW32 if the licence
of that file is ok) would be ideal as it would give me a place to start.
and 4.details on anything I am not allowed to do to the MS dll in the corse
of making this new one (I know copying stuff is forbidden because its a
copyright violation but am I allowed to for example disassemble
richedit.dll or step through it in a debugger to get a better idea of how
it works or is that considered too legally risky?)