SMP on RedHat 9

OverrideX overridex at punkass.com
Sat Jul 19 13:08:19 CDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 12:29, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
> I'm having major problems running some apps since upgrading from 7.3 to RedHat 9.
>
> I think the problem could be that my PC is dual CPU.
> Compiling wine with --with-ntpl does not help.
>
> Most of the time I'm getting "Access violation" or "Page fault" errors. Some time
> it's thread deadlocks.
>
> The worst app so far is "The Bat!". It starts on 5th 10th attempt only. But only if
> I'm running wine in "win98" mode. Running as "win2k" doesn't work at all. One time I
> tried to start The Bat! 20 times. And it failed every time in different places.
>
> Also running in limited desktop window 'Desktop="1024x768"' fails every time as well.
>

> Any suggestions?

I've had problems with some apps in wine when using SMP as well (though
I don't use RedHat 9).  The way I solved it was using a 2.5.x kernel so
that I could use cpu affinity to restrict wine to only using one cpu,
2.4.x didn't have cpu affinity but since RedHat backported nptl support
maybe they backported affinity as well, it's worth checking into - I'll
follow up with a script I made for automatically setting the affinity
for System Shock 2, however ss2 only deadlocks once in the game, not
right when it opens and my script does wait for wine to start before
setting the affinity, so I'm not sure if it'll work for your situation..
cheers -Dan