update Re: My wine turned to vinegar... vanilla wine isn't broken, is it?

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Sun Jul 20 02:08:23 CDT 2003

On Saturday 19 July 2003 07:33 pm, Gregory M. Turner wrote:
> Everything seemed to go fine with wineinstall, but now, no matter what I
> try, I seem to be unable to run wine at all -- it more-or-less immediately
> segfautlts.  I didn't change anything; aside from some truly trivial font
> path fixups, I have a completely vanilla ~/.wine/config and ~/c tree.

OK, I figured out what went wrong.  tools/wineinstall reruns configure, which
changed the install prefix in config.status to the default, /usr/local.
Normally, my scripts set the prefix to /opt/wine. Here's were it gets
interesting.

> loader.c:353 (gdb) print builtin_dlls[i].filename
> $6 = 0x400dcb95 "ntdll.dll"

i, I should mention, was one (indicating the second of two array elements).
builtin_dlls, suspiciously, contained two ntdll references: presumably, the
one at /usr/local/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so, and the one at
/opt/wine/lib/wine/ntdll.so (or perhaps two of the same one, I lost track).

At a glance, it appears that wine was trying to mmap ntdll twice (or perhaps
both ntdll's once), hence the disaster...

Of course, this is totally my fault for having two ntdll's in my library
path... and thank goodness for "make uninstall," which made fixing this
easy... but, under the circumstances, shouldn't the loader be loading just
/one/ ntdll, even if it's the wrong one or whatever?

Well, not my area of expertise, but I thought I'd let you all know of that
behavior (and that I'm no longer stymied).

--
"We must stop thinking of the individual and start
thinking about what is best for society."

gmt