which of these should I work on?

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 21 11:03:21 CDT 2003

--- Jonathan Wilson <jonwil at tpgi.com.au> wrote:
> After looking at all the things windows provides, I have identified the
> folowing possible programs that I could write for the wine project. Some of
> them are usefull for WINE itself and some of them might be usefull for (for
> example) ReactOS
>
> Things:
> 1.improve comdlg32.dll, implement stuff added in WINVER>=0x500 like
> PrintDlgEx and generally make comdlg32.dll behave more like the windows
> counterpart (implement a few other things as well, like some of the
> currently stubbed out items).

You could really help me out by working on comdlg32. I have been working on spliting the Win16/32
code from this dll for a while now so ReactOS can use it. Take a look at it and ole32 to see how
we split Win16/32 code.

> 9.writing a calculaor app (i.e. a calc.exe clone), again dont know if WINE
> needs one but ReactOS might...

ReactOS has a calc.exe clone in the rosapps CVS tree that needs work.

> Which of these should I work on? Which of these are usefull to
> Wine/ReactOS? Are any of these considered "a big beast" (as richedit was
> refered to by Dimitrie O. Paun?)

If you want a quick one to help on you could implement delay loading of user32.dll in regedit. We
implemented a GUI front end for WINEs regedit in ReactOS but it is not merged in to winehq because
Alexandre doesnt want it to call user32 and the GUI by default. We have regedit scripts that use
the comandline in WINE and there is no point in neededing to invoke the GUI.
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-patches/2003/06/0040.html Here is the patch that merges the
GUI frontend.

Thanks
Steven