Define WINEPREFIX if it doesn't exist

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Wed Jul 23 00:40:17 CDT 2003

"Alexandre Julliard" <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:

> Well, you cannot use WINEPREFIX in the config file that is in
> ~/.wine/config, since it can potentially be used without the prefix
> being set. The easiest is to replace %WINEPREFIX% by %HOME%/.wine in
> that specific config file.

But in order to read ~/.wine/config WINEPREFIX should be either already
detected or any default value used. Why not use that value everywhere
else? After all, what is the problem with using a default value, which
actually is being already used?

> A more elaborate solution would be to make wineps look in the prefix
> dir when it gets a relative dir, like the drive config code does. I'm
> not convinced we want to do that though, IMO it would be better to
> install generic.ppd globally and make wineps default to something like
> $(libdir)/generic.ppd.

But that would effectively invalidate all the efforts to make Wine easily
configurable. There are situations when somebody wants by changing single
environment variable get completely different Wine environment: with distinct
registry, config, win.ini, .ppd and other files...

Again, what is the problem with using a default value in the case it wasn't
set? It works for config itself, why it can't work for anything else?

--
Dmitry.