Direct access to LPT1

E Lea ed at centralmanclc.com
Thu Jul 24 09:42:09 CDT 2003

I'm playing around with a program that controls a small "design cutter" -
it's basically a plotter that connects via the parallel port.

There is some Windows CAD software that knows about the plotter and sends
commands to it, as far as I can tell in one of two ways:

1) Through a printer driver. It doesn't seem too bothered about the details
of the driver though. I'm assuming that one would normally use a generic,
text-only Windows driver. This method, apparently, has the advantage of the
driver buffering the output

2) The second method is a direct connection to LPT1.

With Wine, in the first case I get a message in a dialog box saying the call
to "StartDocPrinter" failed and

fixme:winspool:StartDocPrinterA (hPrinter=0x1, Level=0x1,
pDocInfo=0x408a28dc): stub

to stdout.

In the second case I get a dialog saying "LPT1 was not found" and

fixme:dosfs:DOSFS_OpenDevice device open L"LPT1" not supported (yet)
err:file:CreateFileW Couldn't open device L"LPT1"!

to stdout.

Is this a config issue? I'm assuming that is should be easier for me to get
the second method working.