Direct access to LPT1

E Lea ed at centralmanclc.com
Fri Jul 25 05:11:37 CDT 2003

>    E> 2) The second method is a direct connection to LPT1.
>    E> With Wine, in the first case I get a message in a dialog box saying
>    E> the call to "StartDocPrinter" failed and
>    E> fixme:winspool:StartDocPrinterA (hPrinter=0x1, Level=0x1,
>    E> pDocInfo=0x408a28dc): stub
>    E> to stdout.
>    E> In the second case I get a dialog saying "LPT1 was not found" and
>    E> fixme:dosfs:DOSFS_OpenDevice device open L"LPT1" not supported (yet)
>    E> err:file:CreateFileW Couldn't open device L"LPT1"!
>    E> to stdout.
>    E> Is this a config issue? I'm assuming that is should be easier for me
>    E> to get the second method working.
>
> No. You hit an area of unimplemented functionality.
>
> However Win can translate direct port accesses, either as root to inp/outp
> or when configured right, via /dev/parport

I have ppdev, parport_pc and lp kernel modules installed. And

[parallelports]
"Lpt1" = "/dev/lp0"

[ppdev]
"378" = "/dev/parport0"

[ports]
"read"  = "0x779,0x378,0x379,0x280-0x2a0"
"write" = "0x779,0x378,0x379,0x280-0x2a0"

in my ~/.wine/config

Should this be enough to get it working? Or does the fact I get error
messages about not being able to open LPT1 mean that the Windows program is
behaving in such a way that the port access translation you describe will
never work?

> Perhaps look around if you don't
> find some tool that talks to your device  with direct hardware access.
Win31
> programms might do so.

I unfortunately don't have any choice in the tool I use - I'm tied to a
specific app.