Add root drive mapping to default config file

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Tue Jun 3 05:47:23 CDT 2003

Mike Hearn wrote:

>>Because mapping '/' by default is plain ugly in my opinion... It's like
>>shipping some server application with a default blank password :-)
>>

>Can't agree, I'm not seeing the security problem here.
>
>Unless you subscribe to the belief that too many Win32 programs have
>spyware that would be interested in gigs of ELF binaries and config
>files (as they would be able to see drives/network mappings under
>windows anyway), I don't see what harm it could do.

Just wanted to go on record backing Lionel. I am against mapping the
root of the drive to Wine. There have been cases in the past (even
published on Slashdot), when people using Wine were infected with
document sending viruses. In that case, the root mapping meant things
got out.

Mapping the root is a bad security decision, even if we don't see the
exact attack vector at the moment.

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh