Add root drive mapping to default config file

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Tue Jun 3 08:38:23 CDT 2003

Le mar 03/06/2003 à 05:22, mike at theoretic.com a écrit :
> > - its insecure, since you can write everywhere you want
> > and some filesystem corruption still exist today.
>
> Only if you run Wine as root. What makes us think we trust Linux software
> more than Win32 software?
>
> > - it will cause recursion/drive change problems =>
> > example : what will be the current drive/directory
> > if you access the fake C:\windows
> >  via Z:\home\user\fake_c\windows ?
>
> Good question. I guess the algorithm must be able to deal with that
> though, as I've been running with / mapped for months and it hasn't caused
> any problems that I can see. Simply chopping out subtrees if they are
> mapped elsewhere would work.

Not sure. There's a DOS utility (I guess it's still there in later
versions of Windows) called subst.exe which creates a drive from a
directory. So you can say that c:\blabla\mydir is now called f:.
Anything beyond c:\blabla\mydir can be accessed through either ways.

> > On my RH box I have a drive called W: that contains wine sources and P:
> > contains programs/.
> > If I am in W: (wcmd) and I do 'cd programs', wcmd now says P:\.
>
> Yes, that might be a bit confusing (if you use wcmd), but for newbies
> having the "Wine cannot find executable" error is even more confusing.

Is it specifically with wcmd, or in the way Wine gets the DOS name of a
file?

Vincent