Major FUD (was Re: Add root drive mapping to default config file)

Todd Vierling tv at pobox.com
Tue Jun 3 12:22:52 CDT 2003

All this FUD is getting me hungry.  <bad pun>

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, PETREOLLE Sylvain wrote:

: please dont add / to the default config.

: - its insecure, since you can write everywhere you want
: and some filesystem corruption still exist today.

Bullshit.  Wine can't corrupt your filesystem, unless somehow the host OS is
letting users write to arbitrary data blocks of filesystems.  This can be
done to NT, too, you know -- ever try writing data to "//./PhysicalDrive0"
when logged in as Administrator?

(Note that a person who is dumb enough to log in to a Unix box as "root"
all the time is *definitely* one who would log in to Windows as
"Administrator" all the time.  Both of these are security risks for
arbitrary files, but restricting file access in Wine under the premise that
it protects such arbitrary file access is just as moronic.)

: - it will cause recursion/drive change problems =>
: example : what will be the current drive/directory
: if you access the fake C:\windows
:  via Z:\home\user\fake_c\windows ?

Red herring.  You can do this in Windows too using SUBST, as well as Win2k+
which allows mounting one filesystem in an unlimited number of locations
(including inside a filesystem in the Unix fashion).  Also think "reparse
points".

: On my RH box I have a drive called W: that contains wine sources and P:
: contains programs/.
: If I am in W: (wcmd) and I do 'cd programs', wcmd now says P:\.

Sounds like a wcmd bug to me, or a bug in wine's path parsing, but this is
also a red herring as it is *unrelated* to the topic of adding a drive
letter mapping to /.