_Add_root_drive_mapping_to_default_config_file

Todd Vierling tv at pobox.com
Tue Jun 3 12:35:12 CDT 2003

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Jeff Smith wrote:

: The only thing that the / access gave Klez was (potentially) more files
: to harvest email addresses from.  As far as drive access, the author was
: much more concerned about having write access to the home directory.  If
: anybody is interested, here is the article:
:
: http://articles.linuxguru.net/view/198

I feel like having a seafood grillout today, even though I'm vegetarian.
Today's special is... RED HERRING... with a FUD buffet on the side.

If arbitrary code is being executed on *any* platform, there's no way we can
help the poor sap.  This is not restricted to Windows.  A person can run a
trojan horse on any system.

: a *windows* program really gain from that?  Viewing system config files
: in notepad? ;->  Is it just a solution in search of a problem?

There's plenty of application.  To put it in short, convenience to be able
to use a Windows program on an arbitrary file.  (I put in my / mapping when
I needed to run MS Media Sprayer on a group of files for an obscure
Windows-only codec, and didn't want either to move the files around or
create a specialized mapping for just that file group.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv at pobox.com>