Major FUD (was Re: Add root drive mapping to default config file)

Rein Klazes rklazes at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 4 04:05:29 CDT 2003

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 22:57:52 +0200, you wrote:

> > I see mapping a drive to `/' as `proper' configuration.  (i.e. If Wine is
> > meant to integrate apps to the Unix environment, it shold be able to see
> > the full Unix environment.)
>
> Ah, there is where my opinion diverges the most from most of the people here
> (and why I advocate a lot for the Desktop option).
>
> I do *NOT* want to have my Windows and my Linux stuff to mix together. So I
> always use Dekstop mode and I have clearly delimited Windows drives for
> Wine.
>
>        Lionel (who wonders if he's the only one in this case :-) )

You are not the only one, not for the desktop (I like the integration)
but definitely for the delimited drives.

Doing this for the convenience of day-one wine users, that happen to be
first-day linux users as well, that don't read any messages seems to me
absurt.

(However, the latest generation of users seem to start their wine
experience by point-an-click on an .exe in some filemanager. They won't
see the messages sent to stderr.
Perhaps we should instead of error message "blabla.exe not accessible
from a configured", make this a plain MessageBox() call? )

Rein.
--
Rein Klazes
rklazes at xs4all.nl