State reporting (was: Re: Major FUD (was Re: Add root drive mapping to default config file))

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at
Thu Jun 5 13:21:49 CDT 2003

On Thursday 05 June 2003 04:04 am, Mike Hearn wrote:
> > We have that, this is what MESSAGE is meant to do.
> OK, cool, I guess routing that into a GUI should be on somebodies mental
> if not marked up todo list.

just another note (hmm, by speaking on this, I fear I am getting dangerously
close to volunteering): it's probably /not/ cool to use windows API's to
implement such a GUI -- because the messages could be coming out before core
GUI dlls are loaded.  I think another poster mentioned the same issue.  So I
guess it needs to be a pure-x thing...?  Maybe MessageBox is safe, but
MessageBox seems like a potentially annoying implementation.  Otherwise,
perhaps its possible to queue premature messages until the neccesary
essential dll's load up -- of course, this may never occur, resulting in
eerie silence...  maybe a job for interprocess RPC, since it supports string
arguments so well ;)

I'd muck around with this, but right now I have cabinet.dll at the top of my
queue....  maybe soon....

"A just security to property is not afforded by that government,
under which unequal taxes oppress one species of property and
reward another species." --James Madison