Warcraft 3 Issues (RedHat 9)

edharley at shaw.ca edharley at shaw.ca
Sun Jun 8 04:18:23 CDT 2003

Hello wine developers, I'm trying to get Warcraft 3 working on a redhat 9 system. Regardless
of what I try, I am unable to make it work. I'd like to help the developers in whatever way I can.
I'm not asking for help so that I can play games, I'm trying to give information to people
who can use it. If this kind of information is not needed/wanted/required, please delete this
message.

Some information: I have tried Wine/Winex RPMs with no success, if you want error messages
from them let me know and I will provide. I'm not a linux newbie, but I'm affraid to say
that I am a wine newbie. I was given warcraft3 as a gift by someone less then litterate
with computers so I'd figure I'd try to get it working on my naitive os.

Kernel: 2.4.20-8 #1 Thu Mar 13 17:18:24 EST 2003 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux   (Rh9 default)

Glibc: (I read on Transgaming that upgrading you glibc helped some people)
glibc-kernheaders-2.4-8.10
glibc-devel-2.3.2-27.9
glibc-common-2.3.2-27.9
glibc-2.3.2-27.9

I also tried with redhat 9's original version of glibc (2.3.2-11.9)

glxgears -info
GL_RENDERER   = GeForce4 Ti 4400/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
GL_VERSION    = 1.4.0 NVIDIA 43.63
GL_VENDOR     = NVIDIA Corporation
19748 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3949.600 FPS
20340 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4068.000 FPS
20469 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4093.800 FPS

glxinfo:
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.3
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce4 Ti 4400/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 1.4.0 NVIDIA 43.63
glu version: 1.3

Nvidia Drivers: 4363 (Latest as of June 8th)
Also tried 4349 (I was running an older version)

/etc/ld.so.conf:
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/local/lib
/usr/kerberos/lib

ldconfig reports no errors.

ldconfig -v |grep -i GL
        libGLcore.so.1 -> libGLcore.so.1.0.4363
        libx11globalcomm.so.1 -> libx11globalcomm.so.1.0.0
        libglut.so.3 -> libglut.so.3.7
        libglade.so.0 -> libglade.so.0.4.2
        libglade-gnome.so.0 -> libglade-gnome.so.0.4.2
        libglide3.so.3 -> libglide3-v5.so
        libglade-2.0.so.0 -> libglade-2.0.so.0.0.1
        libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1.0.4363
        libglib-2.0.so.0 -> libglib-2.0.so.0.200.1
        libglib-1.2.so.0 -> libglib-1.2.so.0.0.10
        libGLU.so.1 -> libGLU.so.1.3
        libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1.0.4363
        libGLcore.so.1 -> libGLcore.so.1.0.4363

Compile:
(1)./configure --with-x --with-nptl
(2)./configure --with-x --with-nptl --enable-opengl
(3) Both of the above with Patch DX51, DX52.roderick-patch.bis, and DX53 Try2

During the configure:
checking GL/gl.h usability... yes
checking GL/gl.h presence... yes
checking for GL/gl.h... yes
checking GL/glx.h usability... yes
checking GL/glx.h presence... yes
checking for GL/glx.h... yes
checking for GL/glext.h... yes
checking for up-to-date OpenGL version... yes
checking for glXCreateContext in -lGL... yes
checking for glXGetProcAddressARB in -lGL... yes
checking for OpenGL extension functions prototypes... yes
checking for gluLookAt in -lGLU... yes

Followed nvidia's setup instructions closely:

cat XF86Config |grep -i nv
        Driver      "nvidia"
cat XF86Config |grep -i glx
        Load  "glx"
cat XF86Config |grep -i dri
        Driver      "keyboard"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Driver      "nvidia"
cat XF86Config |grep -i core
       InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

I'm running a Twinview desktop, but I have tried disabling it and going with
single monitor as well. neither works.

Wine's "config" program generated with : winesetuptk (tried winetools as well)
Winetools ran into the no startup menu bug, which was fixed from searching
the archives.

I leave the config pretty much standard other then:
[DllOverrides]
"*" = "native, builtin, so"
;; (this was builtin, naitive, so)

[Version]
"Windows" = "win98"
;; needed for warcraft 3 install to work.

If the config is needed in its entirety let me know and I will post it.

I found some old instructions on how to make warcraft3 work, and it involved
copying msvc*.dll from a windows 98 machine into /windows/system , as
well as regsrv32.exe .

I tried the install (wine /mnt/cdrom/install.exe) and got:
fixme:msvcrt:_XcptFilter (-1073741819,0x406508f4)semi-stub
wine: Unhandled exception, starting debugger...

The old instructions:
http://www.transgaming.com/showthread.php?msg=11638&forum=6&thread=11638

So I copied the aforementioned win98 files over, and the install worked
fine.

I read several things on the forums here and the transgaming forums
(I've been trying winex cvs as well)

The instructions I have said to update to the 1.05 patch to make it
work, as well as to rename the Movies folder to something else so
it wouldn't load the movies. I tried with and without renaming
the movies dir. The Patch install works, but blanks fullscreen
to black and I have to kill the wine process with ctrl-alt-f1.

However if I setup
[x11drv]
"Desktop" = "Y"

the patches install smoothly and I can see the selection.
Of course I remove the Desktop=Y after the patches are run.

When I run Warcraft 3 the first time:
wine war3.exe
or
wine war3.exe -- war3.exe -opengl -nosplash
or
load wineserver first, or wineserver -d

I get:
err:module:import_dll No implementation for imm32.dll.ImmAssociateContextEx imported from C:\wc3\war3.exe, setting to 0xdeadbeef
fixme:ole:MSFT_DoTypeInfo Assign constructor/destructor memid
err:aspi:SCSI_GetProcinfo Could not open /proc/scsi/scsi

The 2nd time I run the same thing I get:
err:module:import_dll No implementation for imm32.dll.ImmAssociateContextEx imported from C:\wc3\war3.exe, setting to 0xdeadbeef
fixme:ole:MSFT_DoTypeInfo Assign constructor/destructor memid
err:aspi:SCSI_GetProcinfo Could not open /proc/scsi/scsi
fixme:file:SetFileAttributesW (L"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\SIntf16.dll"):100 attribute(s) not implemented.
fixme:file:SetFileAttributesW (L"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\SIntf32.dll"):100 attribute(s) not implemented.
fixme:file:SetFileAttributesW (L"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\SIntfNT.dll"):100 attribute(s) not implemented.

If I remove /windows/system/SI*, it reverts to the output of the first time.

I have also tried running wineserver first, and watching for usefull data in a
wineserver -d, but I was unable to see anything that was obvious (tho I am not an expert)

I thought perhaps I could use a windows 98 version of imm32.dll so I copied that over as well,
which changes the output to just:

fixme:ole:MSFT_DoTypeInfo Assign constructor/destructor memid
err:aspi:SCSI_GetProcinfo Could not open /proc/scsi/scsi

or with the same SI~.dlls the 2nd time.

So i tried copying OLE*.* from a windows 98 copy and now get:
fixme:win32:SetCriticalSectionSpinCount critsection=0x653cf7a0: spincount=1000 not supported
fixme:win32:SetCriticalSectionSpinCount critsection=0x653cf810: spincount=1000 not supported
err:aspi:SCSI_GetProcinfo Could not open /proc/scsi/scsi

I have been playing with different options and whatnot all day, and have yet to find one
that works. I would be happy to provide any additional information that is required, and
I'm quite comfortable installing patches to try things out.

ttyl.