SoftICE for wine

Gerhard W. Gruber sparhawk at gmx.at
Thu Jun 12 02:30:55 CDT 2003

Three weeks ago I was trying to find a crash in Agent. Since I don't know the
code of wine so well I tried to do this with a debugger. My experience was
rather frustrating. GDB and winegdb are not exactly what I call userfriendly.
On a Windows system I would have found this error within a few hours but I
didn't come to terms with winedbg and gdb. So I was looking for an alternative
and I found a project on sourceforge named pICE. This project was abandoned
about two years ago, but I was interested in it and now I got the
administration for it. pICE is a kernel debugger for linux similar to SoftICE
and I thought it would be nice to have such a tool. My intention is to add
extensions to support wine debugging as well (this was my primary reason) and
now I would like to know if this is would be of interest to you as well and if
yes (what I hope :) ) what extensions are needed in order to support wine. I
guess that winedbg is similar in that respect that it is also an extension of
gdb, am I right? If somebody knows the details I would like to hear it. But
don't expect anything soon because I still need to dig into the code of pICE
to make it stable first.

--
Gerhard Gruber

Für jedes menschliche Problem gibt es immer eine einfache Lösung:
Klar, einleuchtend und falsch. (Henry Louis Mencken)