SoftICE for wine

Eric Pouech pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jun 12 13:55:18 CDT 2003

Gerhard W. Gruber wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:51:52 +0200, Eric Pouech <pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr>
> wrote:
>

>>what didn't you like in gdb and winedbg ?
>

> The interface is quite annyoing. A lot to type again and again. In pICE I have
> all the relevant information at one glance. I was also thinking of adding user
> space support, so that you can use pICE also as a normal debugger with a user
> space GUI. I think there may be already some support for such a feature but I
> didn't have time to look at all the code.
try ddd (or kgdb)

> Also I didn't manage to get hardware breakpoints to work and I got no response
> on my question about this.
what was the issue ?

>>ROS port uses a specific device driver, which will be fun to implement
>>in wine
> Could you tell me a bit more about this?
it seems that pice in ros needs a specific device driver, I assume it :
1/ implements low level CPU management (ie fault detection...)
2/ implements some kind of terminal emulation (screen shall be shared
between debugger and debuggee) (including screen & keyboard)
which I think will be hard to implement (with pice current architecture)

>>winedbg has been inspired by gdb, but it is not an extension of gdb (as
>>a standalone debugger). But, you're may be talking of the proxy feature
>>of winedbg which lets gdb talk to wine thru gdb's remote protocol
>
> Ah. Because of this I thought that winedbg would be a frontend like wdb. Only
> that it is no GUI frontend but a code frontend.
that's why you can use any graphical frontend to gdb (which will then
talk to wine thru winedbg) and gain every feature at once

A+

--
Eric Pouech