[DSOUND?] SMP problem workaround, more info

OverrideX overridex at punkass.com
Wed Jun 18 00:29:41 CDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 20:15, John K. Hohm wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 08:13:42PM -0400, OverrideX wrote:
> > guessing it has to do with how ss2 is calling sounds, since it seems
> > directly related to dsound underruns, and dsound_main.c says in the todo
> > it's missing critical section locking in some parts of it's code, and
>
> I don't think the missing critical sections in AddRef and Release are
> related to your problem, but just in case, I have changed the AddRef and
> Release in dsound_main.c to use InterlockedIncrement and
> InterlockedDecrement.  Does this help?  Or at least, does it avoid
> breaking it worse?

Hi John, thanks for the reply and patch :)

It doesn't fix the problem, nope... as far as making it worse, maybe,
the loading screen froze when reaching 100% the first time I tried which
is something that hasn't happened before, the second try was fine for
quite a while until the infamous deadlock.

Any suggestions to help track this down? I can't do a +relay as it slows
the game down to around 2fps and even after trying for a half hour I
couldn't make it freeze.  Any suggestions are more than welcome, -Dan

--
OverrideX <overridex at punkass.com>
GPG Key Fingerprint = 4AD5 CE9C D7C8 0069 BDD3 7F72 3AB2 642A 5A5D EB89

Again she fled, but swift he came. Tin'^Huviel! Tin'^Huviel! He called
her by her elvish name; And there she halted listening. One moment stood
she, and a spell His voice laid on her: Beren came And doom fell on
Tin'^Huviel That in his arms lay glistening. As Beren looked into her
eyes Within the shadows of her hair, The trembling starlight of the
skies He saw there mirrored shimmering. Tin'^Huviel the elven-fair,
Immortal maiden elven-wise, About him cast her shadowy hair And arms
like silver glimmering. Long was the way that fate them bore, O'er stony
mountains cold and grey, Through halls of iron and darkling door, And
woods of nightshade morrowless. The Sundering Seas between them lay, And
yet at last they met once more, And long ago they passed away In the
forest singing sorrowless. -- J. R. R. Tolkien