XEMBED System tray support

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Tue Jun 24 12:20:51 CDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:39:27 +0200, Sir Sylvain Petreolle scribed thus:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Im testing your patch with various programs.
> Seems to work way cool.

Neat :) There's a screenshot of it in action here:

	http://theoretic.com/mike/RhymBox1.png

for those who are curious. It looks as you might expect :) More
interesting is the app I'm working on - it's a DHTML application written
mostly for Internet Explorer.

> One question however:
> Did you forgot/left-as-is the "Wine-Systray" window with purpose ?

Well the XEMBED system tray protocol does what its name suggests, you
create a window which is then embedded/swallowed into the system tray
applet. So, we still need to create a window.

> In Gnome, I get an empty 20x1 window. (only circumferences and controls
> :))

I don't really understand what you're seeing here. Only circumferences and
controls?

If the tray icon doesn't appear to dock, try running whatever you're
testing it with again. I *think* there is a bug in the gnome tray applet
that causes it to sometimes reject docks or misallocate tray sizes (it can
do this with native programs too).

> Around line 200 in dlls/shell32/systray.c I see :
>   /* Create tray window for icon. */
>   ptrayItem->hWnd = CreateWindowExA( WS_EX_TRAYWINDOW,
>                                 "WineSystray", "Wine-Systray",

Yes. The main changes are in the x11 driver. The other patch I sent which
touched systray.c was threading related (the tray icon should be in its
own thread).

thanks -mike