more direct sound capture fixes

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Sat Mar 1 02:49:00 CST 2003

> I know the debugging code is getting out of hand but
> what is the recommended way of providing useable traces.
> Should the debug code be put in a separate file?  Are there
> standard routines for converting constants to readable
> strings? I'm new to wine so I don't know what the current
> practices are yet.
well, as a comparison from the rest of Wine, WineOSS codes tended to be
rather verbose, and there is getting more and more of it
anyway, you'd better use the winedbg_sprintf function for the memory
management side of things

> The critical section was put in there because there is the potential
> of accessing that variable from all three threads.  It's overkill now
> and probably not needed but I'm trying to track down some weird
> behavior in full duplex mode. That variable stores the state of both
> the read and write threads so we need to do bit opps on it.
yes, but the way it's coded doesn't change anything
for example, if two threads concurrently try to do enable for the first
one, and disable for the second one, you still don't know with operation
will be done first and second, and furthermore the final status
(enabled/disabled) of the operation => the state is never tested, so
even if the crst allow to do atomically the bit operation and the ioctl,
the rest is still flawed IMO

> The current behavior of the driver reorders commands by placing
> ones that must be waited on at the head of the queue.
this is required:
- the app has queued 10 wavehdr:s which still haven't been queued in OSS
driver's queue (so they are still in message ring)
- the app requires to stop the playback... the stop message must by pass
all waiting wavehdr (which will be then released to the application)

the same is needed for capture, so it shouldn't been changed

> I was running into under run problems in the capture thread where it
> had data to save but no headers to put it in.  The headers were in the
> queue but ignored until after the timeout period.  I added code to peek
> into the queue rather than giving up and it fixed the under run problem.
agreed (we did the same for the playback). what I don't like here is
that there is lots of code duplication

> The OSS people don't recommend using multiple threads for reading and
> writing.  Three are currently used:  the main app thread where the
> sound device is opened, one for writing and one for reading.
> Could this have something to do with my full duplex problems?
as of today, full duplex code in audio.c mainly contains sharing the fd
access (and access rights) across all threads. you're right, we
shouldn't need two worker threads for capture and playback and we could
interleave their duties

> audio.c
> is getting big with both input and output and wave and direct sound all
> together.  Do we want to break it up someday?
IMO, what could be done at some points is that lots of audio drivers
work on the same infrastructure (working thread, a couple of basic
operations: read/write/getstatus). what we may end up with is a core
driver infrastructure shared by lots of drivers (OSS, arts...) and some
specific limited bits

> What about hardware
> mixing?  Is anyone working on redesigning this?
IMO, we shouldn't reinvent the wheel here for wine. using arts, jack...
would provide this (at least for playback)

> My needs are short term.  I need to get my app working under wine
> right now but I would like to see direct sound audio better integrated
> someday and am willing to help.
you're welcomed ;-)

A+

--