WineLib Application

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Mar 3 10:32:48 CST 2003

Mike Hearn wrote:
>>The second problem: How can I package my application to install it on
>>another computer? Can I avoid Wine installation on that computer?
>

> AFAIK at the moment yes, you need to either install Wine or basically
> ship your own version with the application. You can probably use RPM/DEB
> for that at the moment, hopefully something better will come along in
> the next year or so

I should point out that Mike is working on something meant to replace RPM
and DEB packages, which is why he delivered that glancing insult at them :-)

There's also the LSB package, which solves all dependency problems
by requiring the package to be linked statically with anything it needs
that's not defined by the LSB.  I rather like this, but Mike hates it.

Now that distributions are becoming LSB-compliant, it's time for people
to consider packaging their apps as LSB packages, I think.  When and if
Mike's effort becomes "Son-of-LSB-package", it will just reduce the
bloat associated with static linking, I think.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com