PATCH: Inserting an item in a listview sometimes generates incorrect messages

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Mar 6 09:17:52 CST 2003

On March 6, 2003 06:04 am, Adam Gundy wrote:

[wine-devel Cc:ed to keep people in the loop]

> Is a listview guaranteed to be single threaded? I assume it is because it
> is all message driven - so some flag in the LISTVIEW_INFO structure could
> be set. I'd say that is even more opaque.

I think this would be better. It's localized in two points (where we set it,
and where we use it), and it's easier to follow. The rest of the code should
be unaware of this problem, so hiding it is the right thing to do IMO.
The reason it's easier to follow is that if I don't see it, I don't care about
it, which is what we want, and 99% of people looking at the code will fall in
this category. If you do happen to stumble upon it, you can search for the
infoPtr->blah thing that we're setting to see where and how this thing is used.
You can't easily search with the current flag solution.

> Actually, there is the rather unhelpful comment "But we are not supposed to
> modify nHotItem!* in LISTVIEW_ShiftIndices() - does 'real' Windows maintain
> the focus after an insertion? Perhaps that's why they don't send the
> messages - you know how they work: write the code then document its broken
> behaviour after the fact ;-)

Yes, I know. This is why I think it should just result from some other
behavior naturally, I don't think MS went through the trouble of passing
a boolean around all over the place just to not send this notification.
One more reason to not uglify our interfaces, as it will just get fixed
automatically when we properly support the HotItem.

--
Dimi.