winedbg trouble

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Fri Mar 7 02:26:40 CST 2003

Dan Kegel wrote:
> OK, finally tried the new winedbg, and I'm afraid I'm mystified.
>
> I wanted to debug my pipe regression test.  I tried
>   winedbg pipe.exe
> This starts out ok, printing stuff to stdout like I expect,
> but then it does something very odd: it switches to
> reverse video right before it prints "In 32-bit mode."
> The "Wine-dbg>" prompt comes up, but it doesn't respond
> to the keyboard.  Also, the display is stair-stepped, as
> if the newline char isn't being interpreted as CR-LF.
> Sounds like stdin is being put in raw mode.
> I have to do 'killall wine' from another window.
> It's just totally, mysteriously broken...
> Before, I could actually use it, but now I'm just confused.
does it behave the same way with other app than pipe.exe or winedbg ?
winedbg (in its current implementation) doesn't really control the
terminal as gdb does. And I don't intent to make it behave this way,
it's supposed to be the job of wineconsole.

> On the theory that for some unfathomable reason,
> the correct command is now
>   wineconsole winedbg pipe.exe
> I tried that.  That behaved somewhat better in that it
> responded to keystrokes,
good :-)
> but it scrolls at line 25
> no matter what size the window is,
wineconsole doesn't support dynamic resize yet... it will use the
default size for you app in the registry (if you want to change this,
run once winedbg under the user console, set the desired size of the
console for winedbg (screen buffer size and window size) and save the
settings for all the sessions)

> and trying to
> do 'cont' or 'run' fails with messages like
>   No process loaded, cannot execute 'cont'
there's a bug in wineconsole, the patch has just been sent to wine-patches

> And it's in that horrible reverse video.
mmm would your curses use a different attribute mapping ?

> Why can't winedbg just behave like gdb with respect
> to stdin and stdout?  I'm at a loss.
because winedbg isn't gdb... as I wrote above, IMO it isn't the job of
winedbg (as an app) to control the terminal, it's up to wineconsole. so
if you don't run your pgm under wineconsole, it won't work.

use winedbg -- --gdb if you really don't want wineconsole but do want
proper terminal control

A+
--
Eric Pouech