running wineboot from the server - HELP!

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Mon Mar 10 16:16:24 CST 2003

Shachar Shemesh <wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il> writes:

> Can someone who understands the server, and the interaction between
> the server and normal apps comment on this scheme?
>
> Also, how do I at all make each and every prog load wineboot.dll?

IMO you are on the wrong track here. We definitely do not want to do
boot processing every time an app starts, our startup times are
already pathetic enough. There are three cases where boot processing
should happen:

1) When an app reboots the system with ExitWindows
2) When the user explicitly requests it
3) At login time when starting the Unix desktop

2) and 3) are external to Wine, and are the responsibility of the user
and/or the packager to make sure the proper scripts are modified. So
this leaves 1) which is basically a CreateProcess("wineboot") at the
end of ExitWindows.

I don't think we need to worry much about delaying other apps either;
in case 2) we may want to display a message when everything is done,
but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com