WineHQ Idea

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at intelliware.ca
Fri Mar 21 12:55:10 CST 2003

On 21 Mar 2003, Jeremy White wrote:

> Excuse me, but most of those sites *only* have a news feed, they
> do not have both a journal and an announcements section.

No, they do have WWN-like publications (see GNOME, KDE) and when
they get released an announcement is made.

> They all have a common, high profile, source for news and
> announcements.  That's exactly what WWN is.

No, you are missing the point. I've repetead several time why
the scope and focus and target audience is different for a
"Latest News" and WWN. Same as monthly magazine vs. news channel.
Please reply to those, ignoring them every time will not make
for a very informative discussion :)

> You somehow seem to feel that our users are stupid and can't
> wade through announcements that don't pertain to them.

What are you talking about here? It's not only a matter of content,
as I previously explained. By the same logic maybe Alexandre should
not send out the email announcement when a release is made, but
instead we should just make a note in WWN that a release happend last
week...

> Further, Gnome and KDE are rotten examples, because they
> are really umbrella projects - they contain many sub
> projects within them.  So, for example, it's useful
> to capture the info regarding Evolution 1.2.3, and
> Galeon 1.2.9.  We do *not* have such a constant
> stream of different news sources.

We are very much an umbrella project. From a technical standpoint
virtually every DLL or app is a separate project. We have over a
hundred of those.

I would also like to reiterate: it seems to me that it's not for me
to argue for it, but for you to argue against it if you feel strongly.
We went through this before, and the conclusion was that we should
stick close to status quo unless we have overriding objections. It is
very clear to me what the status quo is.

--
Dimi.