LockFile() and UnlockFile() are working

Bill Medland billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
Fri Mar 21 18:53:16 CST 2003

On March 21, 2003 04:34 pm, Paul McNett wrote:
> Hi John K. Hohm,
>
> On Friday 21 March 2003 12:15 pm, John K. Hohm wrote:
> > > This resolution will make a ton of business apps based on desktop
> > > database software that much closer to working.

snip

> I just confirmed... while locking seems to work if two instances of Visual
> Foxpro are running on Wine on the same machine, it DOES NOT work over the
> network.  I had one instance on Wine and one instance on WinNT.  Both
> instances were interacting with the same table on a third machine.  The two
> instances of Visual FoxPro did not respect each other's locks.  Bummer.
> Big bummer.

Ah.  And how were you accessing the third machine???  Were you, by any chance,
using SMBFS?

I haven't looked at the locking yet but if Alexandre basically did it the same
way as he did it last time (back in the early 90's I think) then the lock in
wine should get passed on as a flock to the unix/linux, but last time I
looked smbfs would not pass that on as a SMB lock request to the network.

That's why with our application we state that if there is a mix of Unix/Linux
and Microsoft then you MUST host the locked file on a Unix/Linux platform,
share between Unix/Linux using NFS (or something better if available) and
share towards Microsoft using e.g. Samba.

snip

--
Bill Medland
ACCPAC International, Inc.