WineHQ redesign - TODO (Introduction)

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Sat Mar 22 01:49:06 CST 2003

[I am replying in a separate message for each of the issues for sanity's sake]

On March 21, 2003 06:31 pm, Jeremy Newman wrote:
> >      + Introduction : it's dry, and non inviting
>
> If someone has better text let me know. I'm basically using what was
> already there and tweaking it.

Here are my suggestions:
  o The big glass does not work right in Kongy, needs fixing
  o We need to start the page with a nice little story, not a dry list.
  o The itemized list of features should be moved to a separate page,
    "Features", linked to from a new menu item in the "About" box
  o Nuke the "Legal" section, we already have a page for it.
  o No need for the itemized list in the "Wine Status" section.
    I'd just get rid of it, we have a link to the status from the
    main menu, and the links to the ChangeLogs have no business there.
  o There is no need to have separate sections for
    History/Wine Status/Contact. This is "Introduction", people expect
    a nice story for it. These three sections should just be put together
    in a nice flowy story. As they are small, just concatenating their
    content would do, it's just the Contact one that's a bit telegraphic.

Here is my suggestion for the contents:

The Wine project started in 1993 as a way to support running
Windows 3.1 programs on Linux. Bob Amstadt was the original
coordinator, but turned it over fairly early on to Alexandre
Julliard, who has run it ever since. Over the years, ports
for other Unixes have been added, along with support for Win32
as Win32 applications became popular.

Wine is still under development, and it is not yet suitable for
general use. Nevertheless, many people find it useful in running
a growing number of Windows programs. Please see the [Application
Database] for success and failure reports for hundreds of Windows
programs, as well as the [Bug Tracking Database] for a list of
known issues, and the [Status] page for a global view on Wine's
implementation progress.

A broad spectrum of Wine developers can be reached in the
[Wine forums]. Comments about the winehq.com website can be emailed
to web-admin at winehq.com. Alexandre Julliard leads the Wine project,
and may be reached by email at julliard at winehq.com. For a list of
current developers, see the Wine Who's Who.

--
Dimi.