[RFC] wrc: remaining TODOs

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at intelliware.ca
Wed Mar 26 10:52:35 CST 2003

On 26 Mar 2003, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> No there's no standard, and there's no defined Win32 API on big endian
> machines. It's not clear what is the right thing to do, currently we
> use native endianness in Wine, which means a different .res format.
> This implies that we need to be able to specify which one we want, if
> only to allow cross-compilation.

Yes, as I noted, I realized that the option would be needed if
we use native endianess. But I would strongly argue that this
is Not Right (TM). FS design has tought us that data should be
stored in a single endianess. It makes sense -- you could move
the file from one machine to the other, etc.

I think the right thing to do is:
  -- modify Wine to always read stuff in little endian
  -- remove the option, and force little endian output

If MS ever decides to support big endian arches, and they do
the wrong thing, we have all the code in there, we can
add the option back with a few lines of code. But currently
we are defaulting to the least likely option, and the least
desirable at the same time.

--
Dimi.

P.S. Didn't NT 3.1 use to support MIPS? Isn't that big endian?