Multicast options in WinSock with java

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com
Mon Mar 31 03:38:00 CST 2003

Hi all,

I have a bit of a problem. Essentially, the problem is that Java 1.4 is
buggy, it includes winsock.h, but then proceeds to use winsock2. That
wouldn't be an issue, except that my app uses multicast sockets, and for
reasons known only to Redmond they decided to change the values of some
of the multicast socket option constants.

Java, therefore, passes in the winsock1 values to winsock2. Windows
apparently can deal with this just fine (well, the appw works), despite
there being no obvious way to remap them, both IP_MULTICAST_IF and
IP_HDRINCL which both == 2 in different winsock versions would be valid
at once on XP/2003 for instance.

Marcus, I know you took a stab at implementing multicast support once,
so if you have any tips that'd be appreciated.

If anybody knows a way you might be able to detect that a program is
using the wrong headers for the winsock2 dll, please let me know.

thanks -mike

--
Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com>
QinetiQ - Malvern Technology Center