Callbacks while app is looping

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com
Thu May 1 05:42:08 CDT 2003

> This is as far as I can get  (new to wine) - any ideas anyone? I threw a test
> case app that illustrates the problem

Could you make that available? either C source with Makefile or compiled
EXE is fine.

> (btw, the WH_KEYBOARD_LL hook has the note 'should use SendMessage instead',
> but I don't get what this means or know if using SendMessage instead would
> have anything to do with fixing this problem)

It might do, poking around in the windows/input.c file reveals the hook
is called using HOOK_CallHooks() rather than sending a message. MSDN
says Windows internally uses messages to implement this one for some
reason, but on the other hand presumably DirectInput knows how Wine does
it.

Being able to play with the test app would make it easier to debug this
problem.

Also, if any Wine/Win32 gurus could point to some docs on how callback
routines are invoked, that'd be useful.

One other possibility is that DirectInput should not be using keyboard
event hooks in this way. GetDeviceState() implies reading the keyboard
device directly, or reading an internal map of key states - NOT waiting
for keyboard events. But, I haven't seen that code and didn't implement
it, so I might be talking rubbish.

thanks -mike (TD on irc)

--
Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com>