Callbacks while app is looping

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Fri May 2 14:03:54 CDT 2003

> Well, the wine DInput implentation keeps an internal map of key states and
> updates these when an event happens.  Its just this badly written bit of code
> thats using it to wait for a keyboard event :)

I suspect the actual problem is that keyboard hooks require the app to
be processing messages in order to function. In fact, run that test app
in desktop mode - you'll see that it works fine, presumably because the
desktop continues processing messages even when the app within it is
not.

I'm not sure what to do about this, it'd seem sensible to have X11
events processed by the service thread, but I suspect there are reasons
why this isn't the case. CCing Alexandre, he'll know more about
hooks/callbacks.

thanks -mike