-fexceptions? -fasync-unwind-tables?

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Mon May 19 17:43:04 CDT 2003

On Monday 19 May 2003 05:14 pm, Ulrich Weigand wrote:
> Gregory Turner wrote:
> > Possible goals are:
> >
> >   achieve real "SEH"-style syntax, that is, no bloody __ENDTRY macro.
> >
> >   fix "break"
> >
> >   fix "return" from try/finally blocks.
>
> These are certainly interesting goals, but they appear to be hard
> to achieve without compiler support ...

heh, so they are :(

> > Anyhow, I'll take a look at the dwarf2 goodies, maybe I'll decide that
> > it's do-able, but more trouble than its worth... either way, I intend to
> > make some kind of patch out of this whole investigation, as I am pretty
> > darn sure I can at least fix one of the forementioned deficiencies, maybe
> > even two, without making any major sacrifices.
>
> I don't quite see how dwarf2 unwinding fits into this.  Is this just to be
> able to avoid the setjmp?

maybe it doesn't.  I was thinking along the lines of using the unwind
information to mark various places in the stack, or for dynamically
generating bits of machine code... who knows, just "fishing", really.

> Note that g++ exception handling with dwarf2 works quite different from
> MSVC exception handling -- the former hooks exception processing into
> the dwarf2 frame 'personality' routines, while the latter uses the
> exception frame chain anchored in the TEB ...

Ideally, some compiler will emerge which would generate the same undocumented
unwind tables used by msvc to do it... that way tryblocks from native dlls
and wine dlls, and MSVC++ and XYZ++ exceptions could all get along
swimmingly... however, I was only trying to get the syntax to do the right
thing in wine code, hoping I would find it to be a simpler exercise...

FYI, after a somewhat extensive investigation, and nagging the hell out of
Alexandre and wine-devel, I've pretty much given up on anything other than
compiler support.

--
"A just security to property is not afforded by that government,
under which unequal taxes oppress one species of property and

gmt