Overlapped I/O + hEvent == NULL reopened + other questions

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com
Fri May 23 03:57:08 CDT 2003

> * Next I have a problem with high network loads (maybe related to the
> previous issue). When I run the sever app in Wine and access it with a
> remote client, operations generating a high network load tend to be
> unstable. Most of the time the client application hangs at some point, and
> sometimes the server hangs too. This does not happen if I run the client
> with Wine on the same machine as the server. Are they known issues with
> the winsock implementation ?

Not sure, but I don't think Wine is used for server programs very often
so it's quite possible parts will crack under high loading.

> * Wine used to crash because the server app called
> WritePrivateProfileString with a NULL lpFileName. I fixed this by
> returning FALSE if lpFileName == NULL, but I don't know how windows
> handles this. The app calls WritePrivateProfileString with a proper file
> name a couple of times before setting it to NULL, so I suspect windows is
> caching the file name.

Well, most functions just return a fail code in this case I think, but
if you're not sure you can write a little test case on Windows to find
out. Feel free to submit this patch btw.

> * The client comes with a printing helper app. They communicate through
> dde. I get the 'fixme:class:get_class_ptr reading from class of other
> process window' message. How is this supposed to be handled ?

This is because Wine doesn't implement remote process window stuff/ipc
yet, Alexandre is working on this. I don't think DDE should need it
though.

--
Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com>
QinetiQ - Malvern Technology Center