Am I allowed to static link it?

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at
Fri May 23 05:38:38 CDT 2003

Ok, the license is everything compatible, but it is close to impossible,
technically, to static link it!!!

It's a C++ library, and it requires the entire C++ standard stuff. I've
sent a last resort message of despair to ICU4C-SUPPORT, and am starting
to work on FriBiDi interface.

Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>> The static link question seems simple enough. I know that Mozilla
>> uses ICU, and I think OpenOffice does too. Both of them don't have a
>> runtime dependancy on it (or else it would be available for redhat,
>> right?). This means they either static link it or imported the
>> sources into their app.
> Their license is an X type license. I'm only distributing, not
> merging, so there is no "derived work" issues here. There are
> documentation issues, perhaps.

Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration consultant
Home page & resume -