Wine folks interested in a CHM spec?

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com
Wed May 28 10:45:57 CDT 2003

> You guys are nuts! :) Who is going to maintain all this. This is a
> *large* project. Look at Mozilla for crying out loud, a full blown
> HTML/JS/etc. engine will easily double the size/scope of Wine.

(broken my promise already <sigh> :)

I only said fork cos I don't think the KHTML team would accept
bug-for-bug compatability patches with IE. I guess they might, they seem
more liberal about it than the Gecko team (wrongly imho, but useful
here).

Anyway, as to maintainership, this is a good question. But how comes
adding a clone of IE is nuts, but the rest of Wine is sane, hmm? :) This
whole thing is completely crazy to some extent, but here we are in 2003
with two companies working on Wine and many volunteers.... it would
probably require a D3D style dedicated team to work on it though, which
so far doesn't exist.

And I don't think a web engine would be double the size/scope of Wine,
that's exagguration. Wine by definition has a massive scope.... there's
no denying that IE is a part of the APIs now, too many apps rely on it
being there.

Maybe when Red Hat try and sell to the corporate desktop and run into
this problem they will help.... wishful thinking perhaps.

> Stubbing is the only solution IMO.

Sure, it's either that or rewrite KHTML. And I think geckos code is too
big to use :(

> BTW, I knew about that project,
> I email with the guy a bit, he didn't seem to understand some things,
> even though I tried hard to explain. Like for example he wanted to
> implement everything (controls, etc.) on top of GDI because the
> standard controls are bloated and slow... Heh! I gave up. Obviously,
> with that approach I didn't expect him to get too far.

Hmm. Double suck. I guess we're back to square one then. Unless Ender
has done a lot more work than we are imagining.

--
Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com>
QinetiQ - Malvern Technology Center