Partially implement advapi.ReportEvent

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Sun Nov 2 20:08:03 CST 2003

Mike Hearn <mike at theoretic.com> writes:

> What's wrong with it? My main concern over other methods is that nobody
> would ever notice the app was outputting potentially useful information.
> At least with MESSAGE there's no chance of people missing it.

And if the info is not useful, there's no way to turn it off...

> The best way imho would be to have some debug channels be on +trace by
> default, like OutputDebugString and this event logging system.

Note that you get an event type in ReportEvent so you can use that to
do smarter tracing, i.e. use ERR for error events, WARN for warnings
etc. This way errors will be shown by default, but they can still be
turned off if needed.

> Syslog is
> a nice idea but I think it's primary use if for debugging, so we don't
> want it going there....

Syslog is for logging system events, which is precisely what Windows
event logging does, so it sounds like a pretty good fit to me.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com