copy protection - was: Re: Is it time for playing games on WINE?

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Tue Nov 4 09:29:33 CST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 15:13, Ivan Leo Murray-Smith wrote:
> >but this brings fort the legal issues.
> If the re-implemented driver only allows the user to play the game, and not to
> make a perfect copy of the CD, there is no legal issue.

I don't think there's any legal issue anyway. There are no laws against
cracking copy protection unless you're in the states and it's got
encryption.

Now, pirating stuff *after* you broke the protection is illegal of
course, but we have nothing to do with that, and besides, in practice I
doubt it'd help anybody who did want to pirate stuff.